This beautiful little mandolin is currently on a cross-country bike ride with this beautiful young woman.
(Happy pedaling sis!)
To complete the journey safely, the mando needed a more substantial case than the one it came with.
However, due to it's irregular shape we couldn't find a case that fit. (Most mandolins are an 'F' shape, or an 'A' shape. This one is a pear shape...)
So we built a mandolin hard case from scratch!
The lid and base of the case are made of 3/4 pine boards. A bit heavier than we would have liked, but I had it laying around. You know how it is. Sometimes you just don't have it in you to go to Home Depot for the 3rd time in one week.
The sides are made of 1/4 Lauan which is a kind of plywood. (which we purchased during our second Home Depot run of the week.) It was cheap, bendy, and has beautiful surfaces for staining on both sides.
The inner padding is made from 2 inch thick foam, wrapped in cotton batting leftover from our diy breakfast nook benches, then covered in canvas. (Then covered with cheese, wrapped in a tortilla, folded in to a pizza, and covered with salsa.) I spent 10 minutes digging out the sewing machine, and 23 seconds deciding that sewing would be too much work. Instead, the whole thing is held together with 4,893 glue sticks. (A rough estimate.)
There are three separate foam sections each carved and covered separately.
And here's the finished product with it's proud owner!
In her own words: "Now I just have to spend as much time practicing playing it as I did helping build the case for it."